Have you recovered from the turkey, ham, stuffing, and pies? Good. This is a busy time of year in the world of The Rotary Foundation.
Be aware of these tax recognition deadlines sent in by our Zone 33 Giving Officer Erin Groble whom you met her at the Foundation Awards Banquet and Rudy Garcia, our District Development Chair.
” Dear district 7600 leaders,
As we approach the end of Rotary Foundation Month, Rotarians worldwide are energized by the Rotary Foundation centennial message. Annual Fund giving worldwide is up 11% through the end of October. And, on the heels of World Polio Day, giving to the PolioPlus Fund has increased nearly 22% from this time last year, as Rotarians are responding with urgency to the call to eradicate Polio.
Year-end stock & IRA roll-over gifts
As the end of the tax year approaches, now is a great time to promote gifts of appreciated securities and other gifts from investments prior to the new year.
- Gifts of appreciated securities can benefit donors by receiving a potential tax deduction for the market value of gift and avoiding unnecessary capital gains tax on the appreciated stock. Learn more about making gifts of appreciated securities.
- In the US, individuals who are 70 ½ and older can now make tax-free charitable gifts directly from a traditional or Roth IRAs. Learn more about giving through an IRA.
#GivingTuesday is 29 November
Consider making an online gift to the Foundation and encourage Rotarians in your district to do the same. This is a great tactic to help clubs reach their centennial giving goals. Once you give, use the new Facebook frame to show that you’re a proud donor.
- The club with the highest number of donors who make personal online contributions to The Rotary Foundation on 29 November (CST) will receive a copy of the Centennial book.
- The district with highest number of donors who make personal online contributions to The Rotary Foundation on 29 November (CST) will be recognized in the Rotarian Magazine.
TRF awarded World’s Outstanding Foundation for 2016
The Rotary Foundation earned top marks from the Association of Fundraising Professionals. “The award honors organizations that show philanthropic commitment and leadership through financial support, innovation, encouragement of others, and involvement in public affairs. Some of the boldest names in American giving.” Read more on rotary.org.
Online Giving interruption
From 3-5 December, Rotary.org users may experience interruption due to enhancements being made to the website. During this weekend period, Rotary.org users may be unable to complete transactions online, including making contributions, registering for the convention, running reports, accessing grant information, and updating member information. Rotary staff will minimize interruptions as much as possible. Please be advised and share with your districts and clubs.
End-of-Year Giving Deadlines
Make sure to share the calendar year end giving deadlines.
- Online contributions need to be authorized by midnight, 31 December 2016 CST
- Credit card contributions made via fax (847-328-5260), phone (866-976-8279), and mail must be received prior to the close of business (5pm CST) on Friday, 30 December 2016
- Check contributions must be postmarked by 31 December and must be received by 5 January 2017.
- Securities must be received in The Rotary Foundation’s gifted securities account by Saturday, 31 December 2016.
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I hope everyone’s holiday season is off to a wonderful start!